Thread: A multiplayer brawler with no local multiplayer!?

A multiplayer brawler with no local multiplayer!?

Loved Madworld. Love multiplayer fighting games. When I found out about this game it seemed too good to be true... and it is.

I can not believe there is no split-screen option in this game. Even for a 1 v 1, if 4 on screen at once would have been too difficult. I can simply not see this game lasting for over a few months online. And I do not want to purchase another Xbox Live subscription for just one game. If it had local multiplayer (ideally 4 player split screen), the game would have been a must buy. For me, and I'm sure many others who like to play with friends at home.

Is there any way such a feature could be added post release? I understand the majority of you seem to be more interested in the online/ single player, but please respect the fact that there is still a demand for split-screen multiplayer. I don't understand why so many games are shafting it these days. Is it that much harder to implement local multiplayer than online? Or has the absurd notion that gamers have no real friends to play with contaminated the minds of developers these days?

Or have I simply got the wrong idea about this game? Is it primarily a single-player, with an online mode tacked on to expand on the experience? Because every where I've read about this game, it advertises the game as though it's a multiplayer focused brawler. And split-screen goes hand in hand with multiplayer brawler.

I think you are right and everyone would like to see split screen. It seems a great shame, because I prefer split screen over online, because it's more personal.

I imagine that the difficulty is with having a single xbox manage the inputs of more than one player. With online multiplayer, you have a console each, so the processing power necessary is not as much compared to a single console running 4 inputs.

I will still buy the game though.

PlatinumGames Creative Producer PlatinumGamesJP's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blargargy View Post
    I don't understand why so many games are shafting it these days. Is it that much harder to implement local multiplayer than online?
    Yes.

Or has the absurd notion that gamers have no real friends to play with contaminated the minds of developers these days?
    Nope.

Honestly I feel exactly the same as OP. Though I'll accept ANY form of local multiplayer even if it's vastly cut down from the full game. Honestly I'd rather have local multiplayer than superior graphics. Give me a fun 4-player split-screen game with PS1 graphics and I guarantee you I'll play it more than any single player game with amazing graphics.

I wonder though, what makes it so difficult to do what Namco did in Urban Reign and include a button cheat for 2nd player to control a partner NPC ala Tails in Sonic the Hedgehog 2&3. Yeah it was a pain for 1p to shift the camera all the time but it was loads more fun with a friend than by myself.

Blog Entries
    DMC1 had local co-op when you used the doppleganger.

I also wished there was a local multiplayer but I'll be happy to play with everyone online as well as long as the net code holds up.

I made an account to say two things:
    1: I cannot WAIT for ANarchy Reigns.
    2: I am deeply saddened that there will be no local multiplayer, I would have loved to play this with my best bro or my little brother or cousin.

Shame.

I can understand if it is more difficult to implement local multiplayer, but couldn't there have been a compromise such as smaller maps, less crazy events that occur, and a more limited amount of players/ npcs's on screen? Maybe this game is just running on an engine that doesn't accomodate any potential for split-screen, in which case I'd imagine, were I a video game developer, that one of the first and foremost priorities would be to ensure the engine can handle what are undoubtedly obvious features for a multiplayer brawler.

I mean, really, the inclusion of a local multiplayer option is a "deal or no deal" for many gamers who either do not have online access, or do not want it, and are looking for replayability beyond the single player campaign. I'm surprised it doesn't even feature a small multiplayer mode just so that the devs can slap on the 1-2/4 players tab on the back of the box to at least allude to some kind of local multiplayer mode. That's the first thing I look for with any brawling game. Well, any game.

Sorry if that sounds at all cynical. I'm liking the look of the game, that's why I'm coming across as so disappointed by the lack of this feature. I only ever invest my time in these kinds of games, but usually for the local multiplayer. Without that option I just can't fathom the purchase.

As nice as it would be to have split-screen multiplayer, I think (but I'm not 100% sure) that it's not feasible because having two screens would tax the console too much and the game is close to completion.

However, I was wondering why Anarchy Reigns won't have system link? Is there something difficult about implementing system link?

I know the game is going to be out soon and it's difficult to implement new features, but I'm asking because that would be a way to have local multiplayer without the strain of split-screen.

I know JP said in PG break that the online play is really good, but what about people with bad internet connections? They'll probably have laggy play despite being right next to each other. I'm aware Japan's broadband is very good and inviting people to each other's houses/apartments is a rare and special occasion, but broadband in the US behind Japan and hanging out at a friend's place or having a LAN party is more common.

If it's too late to implement system link, then I understand, but I'd like a proper answer as to why it's not included.

BTW, I'm looking forward to the game regardless, because it's pretty much going to be the best game ever.

PlatinumGames Creative Producer PlatinumGamesJP's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mikwuyma View Post
    If it's too late to implement system link, then I understand, but I'd like a proper answer as to why it's not included.
    There will be no system link.

I'm not sure what you would consider a proper answer, but there are a myriad of reasons why it isn't in there. For one, the networking protocol is peer-to-peer. So once you've authenticated with Xbox Live/PSN and started a game, the lag from one machine to should be negligible (avg broadband speed in the US is 5Mbps). Thus, the only real place where a system link scenario is relevant is at a LAN party with no broadband internet connection between machines. I personally haven't been to one of those since the late 90s.

As for net connection differences - we test across a variety of scenarios. We test globally (US-EUR-JAP games), we test two territory, we test locally, we test on a variety of net connections/speeds (I think we have like 10 different service provides running lines into the office, or something silly like that), we test with latency simulators. We've banged on this game as hard as we could in our testing environment, and it has help up pretty well. Obviously, the global games can experience some lag, but that has more to do with the speed of light/distance and hardware latency that it does with the netcode.

The feedback on local multiplayer is helpful though, as your feedback will guide any future multiplayer experiences (nothing to announce!) that we create. I've been sharing it with Inaba-san.

Yeah, the lack of offline multiplayer was sort of a deal breaker for me too prior to the Bayonetta announcement. I was like, "multiplayer brawler/fighter without local offline play? What the heck?" It really blew my mind when I first found it out. I was already confused then(and now still) as to what exactly this game is trying to be but one thing that was really emphasized was multiplayer.

Personally I'd rather have had less modes and/or simplified modes for multiplayer to compensate for the time and resources needed to make a local offline multiplayer mode.

I'm actually still contemplating as to whether or not to get it depsite having a preorder reserve on the game since I'm not totally certain how Bayonetta will be added into the game(preorder bonus then sold later or as an unlock?). Any interest I had in this game prior to the Bayonetta announcement was cut in half once I found out there's only online multiplayer.

Quote Originally Posted by PlatinumGamesJP View Post
    The feedback on local multiplayer is helpful though, as your feedback will guide any future multiplayer experiences (nothing to announce!) that we create. I've been sharing it with Inaba-san.
    DLC Local Multiplayer modes for Anarchy Reigns confirmed

lol jk, but this really makes me excited for future prospects. Hopefully ALL of your future endeavors include local MP of some sort, even if it's just a minigame.

Quote Originally Posted by stebun View Post
    Yeah, the lack of offline multiplayer was sort of a deal breaker for me too prior to the Bayonetta announcement. I was like, "multiplayer brawler/fighter without local offline play? What the heck?" It really blew my mind when I first found it out. I was already confused then(and now still) as to what exactly this game is trying to be but one thing that was really emphasized was multiplayer.

Personally I'd rather have had less modes and/or simplified modes for multiplayer to compensate for the time and resources needed to make a local offline multiplayer mode.

I'm actually still contemplating as to whether or not to get it depsite having a preorder reserve on the game since I'm not totally certain how Bayonetta will be added into the game(preorder bonus then sold later or as an unlock?). Any interest I had in this game prior to the Bayonetta announcement was cut in half once I found out there's only online multiplayer.
    I pretty much feel the same way, but the Bayonetta announcement wasn't what hyped me up recently. I'm still unsure of whether or not I want to buy this full price, but if they include Sam as a pre-order bonus, consider me sold.

Lack of local play is extremely disappointing, but if that's not the game they're making. I play games online with mics with the same people I could play offline with, so we'll make it work.

One thing I'm worried about is the flexibility of the online modes. Like if you're able to create a room and invite people to it to just mess around with friends, or if you're just able to queue up with friends to face other people online.(basically making sure that the player requirement for each game mode is met)

Like if I have a group of 7 friends who want to play, we can play battle royale with just us 7 players without having to play with random players or bots. It'd be nice if people could join and drop rooms freely as well. It'd be nice to play in the other team modes with uneven teams as well.

If you're forced to play with the max amount of players like most shooters my interest in this game would drop pretty hard.

Thanks for the answer JP. Your answer doesn't explain everything, but it's good to know that the online is being tested for all sorts of scenarios (especially across countries). To be honest, most of my multiplayer will be online so it's good to know that the testing sounds robust.

I would like to have some sort of local multiplayer without having to be online, but I know that's just catering to a small percentage of players. Either way, it's not a dealbreaker and I'll most likely end up pre-ordering the game once I know what the pre-order bonuses are. Gotta support Platinum games.

The game they're making is trying to do something new - we haven't seen a game like this before. To take elements out so that it can have local multiplayer would defeat the object of it, as far as I know. Though I personally don't find online multiplayer to be that interesting, I can see the objective of the game. The fact is that if you do want to do link up, and play with a friend in your home, you can just hook both machines up to the internet and play in the same room... so it can be done that way.

This is indeed disappointing because this game reminded me of Gears of War but more on the melee side. I loved doing co op campaign in GOW but the online was the main more for me. I am still waiting after 6 release/announce PGames titles NONE of them have any form of co op :/

PGames is prob my favorite studio the last few years but so far everything has been mostly singer player. But I have faith they titles will keep on coming and they PGames will release all kinds of games that branch out to every gamers preferences when it comes to gaming.

Personally I'd like to see Vanquish 2 be that game with offline co op with co op campaign, co op challenge modes, vs modes, hoard modes, ONLINE modes and co op online modes. I feel the way Vanquish is played the most skilled players will flourish online. That is my favorite aspect of online games is to see the different levels of play.

Laughing Cow 71

I'm not sure what you would consider a proper answer, but there are a myriad of reasons why it isn't in there. For one, the networking protocol is peer-to-peer. So once you've authenticated with Xbox Live/PSN and started a game, the lag from one machine to should be negligible (avg broadband speed in the US is 5Mbps). Thus, the only real place where a system link scenario is relevant is at a LAN party with no broadband internet connection between machines. I personally haven't been to one of those since the late 90s.

As for net connection differences - we test across a variety of scenarios. We test globally (US-EUR-JAP games), we test two territory, we test locally, we test on a variety of net connections/speeds (I think we have like 10 different service provides running lines into the office, or something silly like that), we test with latency simulators. We've banged on this game as hard as we could in our testing environment, and it has help up pretty well. Obviously, the global games can experience some lag, but that has more to do with the speed of light/distance and hardware latency that it does with the netcode.

Haven't played LAN since the late Nineties, huh? Wow you're so modern, dude. Oh well, your loss. Way to go, though. A condescending answer to a potential customer. That's what I call Customer Support. It sounds more like your covering your company's poor oversight regarding offline multiplayer, because p2p always equates to Laggy, crap-hosted connections.

Everyone appears to be getting in on the game, now. Remove the offline versus component so the big boys running the show can force everyone online. No more disc-based games... digital FTW! All profit with minimal overhead.

I'm another wakeful consumer: No offline multiplayer, no money from me.

I also agree. To many developers sacrifice story or graphics for gameplay and fun. When they do so it doesn't pay off. I was so looking forward to this game as the beat em up genre is my favorite game type to play. I loved Power Stone, I bought and played Iron Phoenix (didn't like but it was worth a shot) and Spikeout (freakin awesome!) and I was happy Sega was making another online brawler.

No local multiplayer is an EPIC FAIL. Graphics are not an excuse to ditch such a vital game mode. Whether it is harder to implement than online does not matter. You have to put in the work if you want to be successful. How can you compete with COD, Gears 3, Halo, Left 4 Dead, Dynasty Warriors etc, all of which have split screen co-op and/or vs. Binary Domain suffered for the exact same reason. The only reason this may still do alright is because its a brawler, and people are starting to want something other than a shooter day in and day out.

What makes you think that they want to compete with those games that you listed? I'm just curious because last time I checked, those titles belong to different genres...Hmm any who, I doubt that Binary Domain suffered because of the lack of split screen co-op...Personally, I think it didn't do too well because it came out around the same time as many other big names. Split screen would have been cool but what is there to do? Nada

Laughing Cow 71
    Quote Originally Posted by Bayorgasmic View Post
    What makes you think that they want to compete with those games that you listed? I'm just curious because last time I checked, those titles belong to different genres...Hmm any who, I doubt that Binary Domain suffered because of the lack of split screen co-op...Personally, I think it didn't do too well because it came out around the same time as many other big names. Split screen would have been cool but what is there to do? Nada
    Bayorgasmic,

Hello? Anybody home? The games he named ARE competing with every other game on the market, whether or not it is of a different genre. So, no need to have the condescending attitude (as if you know something more than everyone else).

Besides, Feb 28th wasn't exactly hopping with triple-A title releases. In fact, there was only one other title that could be called triple-A, and that's a real stretch.

"Split screen would have been cool but what is there to do? Nada"... what kind of statement is that? Consumers are correctly pointing out that offline multiplayer is something that will keep the game alive a lot longer than online only, esp. considering Microsoft's own numbers state that Gold members are outnumbered nearly 3:1 behind their Silver member counterparts in point of quantity.

What that means is that offline players are the majority despite what you're being led to believe. This game, like every other multiplayer online-only title, is destined for the same quick price drop and poor online showing that plagued titles like Binary Domain, SSX and Syndicate. Get your facts straight before you start attacking someone.

Laughing Cow 71

Jp,

You haven't played a LAN game since the late Nineties? Really? Wow, you are so modern, dude. No offline multiplayer even when online multiplayer for consoles was in its infancy? Sounds more like your condescending comment is more likely meant to demean mikwuyma's response to hearing about the lack of System Link than it is for making a smiley face gesture. Or, is it more smoke and mirrors to cover up Platinum Games' poor oversight in not implementing an offline component for the game?

I think everyone knows what p2p is now, by the way. No need to try to make it sound like you're on the cusp of offering something of quality. p2p will always mean poor, crappy, sub-par connections to a hosted party. Test it all you want, the same result will occur in the end.

I feel bad for Platinum Games. Grasping for the same apparition of an online cashcow that EA, Activition, Sony and all the other [former] top-notch organizations are grasping for must be really disheartening. Especially when the hand is chronically brought back empty.

Hahaha who did I attack? The last time I checked, I asked a question and stated my opinion...So tell me, when did I state that I "know" more than "others"? You must know me extremely well I guess? Idk... Btw, I was talking about Q1 in general..Not the game's release date and Mass Effect 3 released the next week. I am totally for split screen and never stated that I wasn't so you can save that nice info. No local co-op definitely won't be a deal breaker for me. The amount of salt that you're emitting over what I had to say is very amusing. Lower your sodium level a tad bit...No need to get all worked up over someone's opinion

Whoah man, I probably am more disappointed with the lack of local mp than anyone here, but I doubt attacking JP will help our cause at all. If anything it will just make him say "that was rude, and someone so rude can't possibly be right, no offline mp ever" and it's ruined for all of us. Yeah it's effed up that there's no local mp but chill man, I can almost guarantee you the next game they make will have some form of offline multiplayer thanks to the amount of feedback they've been getting regarding it thus far.

No multiplayer might be bad but I am buying the hell out this game and supporting my favorite gaming company.

But okay guys there is no offline multiplayer. Lets deal with it. We don't want to complain when this company has already given us some legit titles. These guys gave us Bayonetta in AR which means they love their fans. Other companies would have us pay $20 worth of on dish DLC. This game is still gonna be sickkkkk!

Quote Originally Posted by Laughing Cow 71 View Post
    Bayorgasmic,

Hello? Anybody home? The games he named ARE competing with every other game on the market, whether or not it is of a different genre. So, no need to have the condescending attitude (as if you know something more than everyone else).

Besides, Feb 28th wasn't exactly hopping with triple-A title releases. In fact, there was only one other title that could be called triple-A, and that's a real stretch.

"Split screen would have been cool but what is there to do? Nada"... what kind of statement is that? Consumers are correctly pointing out that offline multiplayer is something that will keep the game alive a lot longer than online only, esp. considering Microsoft's own numbers state that Gold members are outnumbered nearly 3:1 behind their Silver member counterparts in point of quantity.

What that means is that offline players are the majority despite what you're being led to believe. This game, like every other multiplayer online-only title, is destined for the same quick price drop and poor online showing that plagued titles like Binary Domain, SSX and Syndicate. Get your facts straight before you start attacking someone.
    Ooo BURN!

whoa whoa whoa whoaaaaaaaaaaa.....no off line multiplayer? what the hell means that? dont we have bots? so if there isnt any one else playing out there we can't play against bots?
    im confused, disoriented, wet , hungry and cold, enlighten me people and vanish my doubts.
    -no splitscreen-yes i get that, no problem for me
    -no local multiplayer-im new in multiplayer stuff, im 12 and whats this?

Quote Originally Posted by honkhonk View Post
    whoa whoa whoa whoaaaaaaaaaaa.....no off line multiplayer? what the hell means that? dont we have bots? so if there isnt any one else playing out there we can't play against bots?
    im confused, disoriented, wet , hungry and cold, enlighten me people and vanish my doubts.
    by offline/local multiplayer we mean 2-4 players on one console, not necessarily split-screen, as 4 players can, and have shared a screen in some games.

You can play offline with bots or online with other people and possibly some bots too, but there's no splitscreen or LAN.

alright, i get it. But wasn't this expected? i mean, that kind of multiplayer have almost disappeared after the internet conections and access to them became something common, back in the days we only had this kind of stuff, now its a bonus, and most multiplayer titles out there doesnt have it.Anyway i suppose its a let down for those that like it.

alright, i get it. But wasn't this expected? i mean, that kind of multiplayer have almost disappeared after the internet conections and access to them became something common, back in the days we only had this kind of stuff, now its a bonus, and most multiplayer titles out there doesnt have it.Anyway i suppose its a let down for those that like it.
    The thing is, not all of my friends have a console, online access, and the money to buy all the same games as me. Not only that but it's far easier to communicate and come up with new ways to play the game with a friend who's in the room. On-top of that, online play won't last, eventually the servers will be taken down and the only AR we'll be able to play is offline. Local MP could generate a next-gen life for the game in the tragic, but highly possible event that it doesn't get a sequel or follow-up.

Wrong,as jp mentioned the network protocol is P2P.
    the only way to disable online play is to take down Psn/XBL and i think neither sony or microsoft will touch that option anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Merchant View Post
    Wrong,as jp mentioned the network protocol is P2P.
    the only way to disable online play is to take down Psn/XBL and i think neither sony or microsoft will touch that option anytime soon.
    The next gen of consoles is right around the corner, now idk about XBL, but I can definitely see PSN being taken down in favor of a more powerful service, perhaps even a paid service.

Regardless though, that still doesn't solve any of the other problems that come with the lack of offline MP

Hello everyone, I'm regretful that my first post in these forums is expressing a negative sentiment, as I'm a massive fan of all Platinum Games's games which have come out so far, but I feel the need to echo the sentiment that local multiplayer should have been an important part of this game and I'm incredibly disappointed to see it gone.

I've joined these forums now, in the hope that I can play with some of the members of it. But I'm still pretty unhappy about this...

Quote Originally Posted by EmeraldChaos View Post
    Hello everyone, I'm regretful that my first post in these forums is expressing a negative sentiment, as I'm a massive fan of all Platinum Games's games which have come out so far, but I feel the need to echo the sentiment that local multiplayer should have been an important part of this game and I'm incredibly disappointed to see it gone.

I've joined these forums now, in the hope that I can play with some of the members of it. But I'm still pretty unhappy about this...
    It's cool man, the more the issue is vocalized, the more seriously platinum regards the complaint. Honestly this is probably the biggest mistake they've made in their history as a company :P If you've got PSN feel free to add me (badjab326) and I'll play some online as soon as I get the game, which may be later than release if a fun local mp game is released around the same time.

Why they don't include local 4 player co-op vs with bots is beyond me......even Black Ops has this. If Sega wants to say alive and compete that have to put in the work.

Brawlers are my favorite genre since Double Dragon, but the masses usually view brawlers as highly repetitive. 4 player split screen with bots would definitely liven up the experience and keep it fresh. However 1 player per console will not cut it, that is almost not even worth a purchase. I mean if Double Dragon, Streets of Rage and Final Fight can have local campaign co-op there is absolutely no excuse whatsoever that games in 2012 can't do the same.

I like System Link! Me and my Buddies often use it. RE6, Gears, Dead Island, Hunted. all these Games have the System Link Option. I never went to a Lan Party and Hell we also played DooM on the PSone in System Link!

Oh Hello to Everyone in the Forums of this Great Company!

Split-Screen takes up too many resources when your models and textures are streamed into memory based on your location. If you need to blame someone blame the engineers who developed the 360 and PS3 for including so little memory.

Edit: and the game uses P2P and most likely has matchmaking facilitated by PSN/XBL's servers. At no point will playing AR online be impossible.
    Last edited by TheNosMan; 06-20-2012 at 04:09 AM.

I hate to be redundant, but I echo all the post before mine that this game needed local MP/split screen co-op. The absence of which, may prove detrimental to it's NA release (should it actually be released in the West) and is something PG should really take into account. I don't see how during the conception of AR, this topic didn't come up. In regards to how AR's co-op should've went, it should've been 2 (not 4, 4 player split screen would definitely not be feasible and would only hinder gameplay) player split screen *offline*. There is no excuse as to why it's absent, it's not a development issue (PG developers are legendary) nor a memory/model issue (post directly above) as RE:5, Army Of Two, Kane and Lynch, etc... all have local MP/co-op.

I bought the game because I fully support PG and will probably buy it again when its is released in NA. However, I am disappointed by the lack of local co-op. I was hoping we could at least play story mode or against bots with one other person through split screen. It sucks not being able to play with the BF just because we don't have an extra ps3 and TV lying around.

I will continue to support PG because I love their work, but I hope the next brawler game (Anarchy Reigns 2, with Sam Gideon anyone? lol) will have local co-op.
    Last edited by Sol; 08-30-2012 at 07:57 AM.