Thread: Will Sega financial crisis involve or damage PG too?

Will Sega financial crisis involve or damage PG too?

Sega is the publisher of the incoming Anarchy reigns (we don't know if other games in development right now has Sega as publisher too),and it already announce that many games not from their main frachises (sonic,football manager,total war),are going to be canceled.

And even if you think this will not damage the development of the incoming titles (announced and still unannounced ones),do you think PG will need to find another publisher for his future releases?

I just heard about this today and I too am worried.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-game-business

Does this mean that platinum won't be able to make sequels to any of it's existing games? And will all future platinum titles be cut?

If it did I doubt they would, or even could tell us about it.

Stuff like this is why I try not to pay too much attention to the business side of the gaming industry. Just look forward to the games in front of me rather than worry about ones I can't see.
    Last edited by Retro; 03-31-2012 at 03:03 AM.

I say we head over to twitter and let our voices be heard...as consumers and fans of PG, its all we can really do
    https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/%40sega

This news makes me very worried about the implications for the future of Anarchy Reigns and other Platinum/Sega collaborations (as well as English releases of further Ryu ga Gotoku games). Really hope this situation is just being overly exaggerated by the media.

Knows more about who works here than people who actually work here. Rikitatsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudFire777 View Post
    I say we head over to twitter and let our voices be heard...as consumers and fans of PG, its all we can really do
    https://twitter.com/#!/search/realtime/%40sega
    What would you ask about exactly? Anarchy Reigns is coming. And whatever PG is working on with SEGA hasn't been announced and it might not even exist in the first place, so you won't get an answer.

Wasn't Sonic making a comeback with good sales? Or at least I thought so. If not even their mascot's game can survive the axe iono of the chances of another Bayonetta. =/ Really hope it won't affect the chances significantly.

Also, I don't expect them to give us any kind of real answer other than they cannot say anything.

Blog Entries
    Sonic will always do fine. The hardcore audince can complain all they want, sales for Sonic games will always be great.

If SEGA is hesitant about creating new IPs and wants to focus on established franchises, I hope that they'll let the developers who normally make original IPs and let them simply make new games in established franchises like Sonic. A Sonic game developed by PlatinumGames sounds good to me, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by Rikitatsu View Post
    What would you ask about exactly? Anarchy Reigns is coming. And whatever PG is working on with SEGA hasn't been announced and it might not even exist in the first place, so you won't get an answer.
    I never planed to ask anything nor was i expecting any answers from them.....simply wanted to let them know that there's an audience for AR, despite their poor marketing skills for the game.

You say Anarchy Reigns is coming......nd I'm guessing you know this because you've seen the list of games Sega's planing on canceling right.....
    Last edited by CloudFire777; 03-31-2012 at 06:15 AM.

Knows more about who works here than people who actually work here. Rikitatsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CloudFire777 View Post
    You say Anarchy Reigns is coming......nd I'm guessing you know this because you've seen the list of games Sega's planing on canceling right.....
    Anarchy Reigns is coming because its nearly complete, (Releasing in 3 months) and even now as we speak, PG and SEGA are marketing it (The official website got opened yesterday with new videos)

You don't need to have super-powers to know it is not canceled.

Agreed Riki. I mean, they've come too far to cancel the game and the promotion is kicking off now

PlatinumGames Creative Producer PlatinumGamesJP's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Edited out post/deleted replies because I don't want to speak out of turn. I'm on a business trip and can't make any official replies/statements on this either way. Apologies for any confusion.

It's natural to be worried as Sega owns the rights for PG's previous games (unless I'm mistaken?) this could mean we would never see sequels or spin offs of these games.
    It would be Shenmue all over again, whatever the case may be I'm sure they can't talk about it yet, all we can do is wait really.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheonix03 View Post
    Sonic will always do fine. The hardcore audince can complain all they want, sales for Sonic games will always be great.

If SEGA is hesitant about creating new IPs and wants to focus on established franchises, I hope that they'll let the developers who normally make original IPs and let them simply make new games in established franchises like Sonic. A Sonic game developed by PlatinumGames sounds good to me, heh.
    There's a problem with that. You have people who will hate on the games automatically for being too different. Look at the new DMC. It seems like Capcom didn't trust them with a new IP so they gave them DMC to work it. That is what they came up with. People are complaining and planning to boycott the game because it's too different from previous DMC games. It would be no different if Sega did that with their establish IPs (especially Sonic as those fans have no idea what they want).

Blog Entries
    Mark my words. Sonic will outlast Sega itself.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Elvenmonk View Post
    There's a problem with that. You have people who will hate on the games automatically for being too different. Look at the new DMC. It seems like Capcom didn't trust them with a new IP so they gave them DMC to work it. That is what they came up with. People are complaining and planning to boycott the game because it's too different from previous DMC games. It would be no different if Sega did that with their establish IPs (especially Sonic as those fans have no idea what they want).
    Let them complain all they want. People will always hate on a game no matter what, so why not just take some risks? It's these dedicated fanbases that create such uproars, but they complain even if the game is just like past ones. So, imo, just like the Final Fantasy series, Sonic just can't win no matter what the series does.

I wish more fanbases were like the Kirby fanbase, which accepts the various changes to the series over and over.